This page introduces the English Corner at SKH Lam Woo Memorial Secondary School. You can find out about the resources available and learn more about how the English Corner is run.
2021-2022 COVID-19 Opening
- 3 September to 17 September: Open every school day during the 2nd recess.
- 20 September to 30 September. Open every school day during both recesses.
Teaching & Learning Resources
This is a new service. Teachers and students can borrow different kinds of learning equipment and resources. Some equipment is available in the English Corner while some is available from the school’ Creative Media Studio. When you click on the icon/link, the selected studio website page will open in a new browser.
Learning resources available in the English Corner: These include things like answer buzzers, handheld whiteboards and visual timers.
Studio Equipment: On this page you can learn about the equipment available in the studio. Many of the items can be borrowed, but some (like the digital piano) need to be used in the studio. You can also download the booking/request form on this page.
About the English Corner
The English Corner at SKH Lam Woo Memorial Secondary School is a place where students can drop in at lunch or after school to play games, watch movies or chat with friends. They can also borrow movies, music CDs and books.
The English Corner, or ‘Eng Con’ as it is called by students, is normally open every school day at lunch (1:10 – 1:40) and after school (3:45 – 5:00). It began operations in September 2006 and is run by a team of students from Forms One to Five.
The English Corner has been successful in helping create an English-rich environment at the school. In past years, we focused more on lending out items like music CDs, books and DVDs, with students borrowing more than 8,000 items per year. However, are now focusing more on things like games and activities. Some new additional services are:
- A widescreen TV
- A Nintendo Switch
- A Kindle borrowing service (coming in 2021)
- A much wider selection of games (we now have over seventy games; you can see the full list here: English Corner Games)
- A snack service that is held once a week (students are given a ‘loyalty card’ and are given a chop if they participate in specified activities—e.g., watch a TV program, play a strategy game, play a language game. If they get four cops in a row, they can get a free drink and snacks).
We have a wide range of resources—movies, music CDs and books—to encourage students to broaden their horizons and develop interests in other cultures.
In the English Corner, students also express their feelings in several notebooks and sketchbooks. You can see some of their comments and sketches on this blog: No One Beside Me
The Previous English Corner
The English Corner was renovated and decorated in 2018. Here is what is used to look like:
This is what the English Corner looked like during a typical lunchtime (The video was taken using a toy camera—the Digital Harinezumi 2).
Photo Galleries & Links
Visit our photo galleries for more images:
- English Corner 2007-2018 (Flickr or Google Photos)
- English Corner Open Day 2015: Day 1 (Flickr or Google Photos)
- English Corner Open Day 2015: Day 2 (Flickr or Google Photos)
- Renovating and Decorating the English Corner (Flickr or Google Photos)
- New English Corner (Flickr or Google Photos)
For more information, you can visit these links